Thursday, May 16, 2013

Senior 3's Grammar Review # 1

Dear Students,

As we discussed in class, I would like you to do a great work next term. This is the reason that I decided to have you review some basic tenses.

I want you to take your time in completing the following activity and PLEASE, if there is some information you do not know or remember, take advantage of the internet or any book you might have to do some research. Do no just ask your partner, sometimes information remains longer if we do more than just asking someone else. However, it would be great if you posted comments requesting and/or offering some explanation.

Do not forget to print and complete the activity! 


Grammar Review #1: Present Simple vs. Present Continuous
Senior 3
Mr. José Miguel Campuzano

A.    Answer the following questions.
1.     When do we use the Present Simple Tense?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
2.     What happens to the verb for the 3rd person singular when we conjugate it in Present Simple?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
3.     Complete the chart.
AFFIRMATIVE
NEGATIVE
I cook
She cooks
I don’t cook
She doesn’t cook
I watch
He _______________


I go
She _______________


I brush
He _______________


I fix
He _______________


I pass
She _______________


I have
He _______________


I copy
He _______________


I play
She _______________



4.     List some time expressions we usually use in Present Simple Tense.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
5.     When do we use the Present Continuous Tense?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
6.     What two words do we need to conjugate a verb in Present Continuous?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
7.     Complete the chart.
VERB
GERUND
VERB
GERUND
go
going
rain

catch

swim

play

lie

dance

tie

run

copy


8.     List some time expressions we usually use in Present Continuous Tense.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
9.     List some Non-Action Verbs. Why is it important to know them when contrasting Simple to Continuous Tenses?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________



B.     Complete with the correct form of the verbs: Present Simple or Present Continuous.

A Trekking Journal
November 12, 1997

Today _______________________ (be) the second day of my trek around Mount Annapurna. I am exhausted and my legs _______________________ (shake); I just hope I am able to complete the trek. My feet _______________________ (kill, really) me and my toes _______________________ (bleed), but I _______________________ (want, still) to continue.

Nepal is a fascinating country, but I have a great deal to learn. Everything _______________________ (be) so different, and I _______________________ (try) to adapt to the new way of life here. I _______________________ (learn) a little bit of the language to make communication easier; unfortunately, I _______________________ (learn, not) foreign languages quickly. Although I _______________________ (understand, not) much yet, I believe that I _______________________ (improve, gradually)

I _______________________ (travel, currently) with Liam, a student from Leeds University in England. He _______________________ (be) a nice guy, but impatient. He _______________________ (walk, always) ahead of me and _______________________ (complain) that I am too slow. I _______________________ (do) my best to keep up with him, but he is younger and stronger than I am. Maybe, I am just feeling sorry for myself because I am getting old.

Right now, Liam _______________________ (sit) with the owner of the inn. They _______________________ (discuss) the differences between life in England and life in Nepal. I _______________________ (know, not) the real name of the owner, but everybody _______________________ (call, just) him Tam. Tam _______________________ (speak) English very well and he _______________________ (try) to teach Liam some words in Nepali. Every time Tam _______________________ (say) a new word, Liam _______________________ (try) to repeat it. Unfortunately, Liam _______________________ (seem, also) to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment