Monday, May 20, 2013

Senior 3's Grammar Review # 2

Hi there! Our second review is about Past Simple and Past Continuous. I recorded a brief explanation of these tenses. Watch the videos and complete the exercise below. Copy the sentences on a word document, print it and complete the excercise. JMC.




Grammar Review #2: Past Simple vs. Past Continuous
Senior 3
Mr. José Miguel Campuzano

A.    Complete with the correct form of the verbs: Past Simple or Past Continuous.
1. A: What ________ you ___________ (do) when the accident occurred?
     B: I ___________________ (try) to change a light bulb that had burnt out.
2. After I ___________________ (find) the wallet full of money, I ___________________ (go, immediately) to the police and ___________________ (turn) it in.
3. When I ___________________ (walk) into the busy office, the secretary ___________________ (talk) on the phone with a customer, several clerks ___________________ (work) at their desks, and two managers ___________________ (discuss)methods to improve customer service.
4. I ___________________ (watch) a mystery movie on TV when the electricity went out. Now I am never going to find out how the movie ends.
5.  The Titanic ___________________ (cross) the Atlantic when it ___________________ (strike) an iceberg.
6. When I entered the bazaar, a couple of merchants ___________________ (bargain) and ___________________ (try) to sell their goods to naive tourists who ___________________ (hunt) for souvenirs. A couple of men ___________________ (argue) over the price of a leather belt. I ___________________ (walk) over to a man who ___________________ (sell) fruit and ___________________ (buy) a banana.
7. The firemen ___________________ (rescue)the old woman who ___________________ (be)trapped on the third floor of the burning building.
8. Samantha ___________________ (live) in Berlin for more than two years. In fact, she ___________________ (live)
there when the Berlin Wall came down.
9. While I ___________________ (do) the washing-up, I ___________________ (break) a dish.
10. While Tom ___________________ (play) the piano, his mother ___________________ (do) the washing-up.
11. He ___________________ (drink) some juice and then he ___________________ (eat) some chips.
12. I ___________________ (have) dinner when suddenly I ___________________ (hear) a loud bang.
13. While my father ___________________ (work) in the garden, an old friend ___________________ (pass) by to see him.
14. She ___________________ (go) to school, ___________________ (take) out her textbook and ___________________ (begin) to learn.
15. When it ___________________ (start) to rain, our dog ___________________ (want) to come in.
16. While Jane ___________________ (do) an English course in Ireland, she ___________________ (visit) Blarney Castle.
17. While I ___________________ (be) on my way home, I ___________________ (see) an accident.
18. I ___________________ (not understand) what they ___________________ (talk) about.
19. When I ___________________ (get) up yesterday, the sun ___________________ (shine). It ___________________ (be) a beautiful morning, so I ___________________ (decide) to cycle around a little. I ___________________ (go) to the house and ___________________ (take) out my bike. While I ___________________ (cycle) past some villages, I ___________________ (see) some people in the gardens. One man ___________________ (mow) the garden while his wife ___________________ (pick) strawberries. After one hour of cycling in sunshine, a big fat raincloud suddenly ___________________ (appear) and it ___________________ (start) to rain. Luckily, a farmer ___________________ (notice) me and ___________________ (tell) me to come in. While it ___________________ (rain) outside, I ___________________ (sit) in the farmer’s house. After a while, the sun ___________________ (come) out again. I ___________________ (thank) the farmer for his hospitality and ___________________ (move) on.

No comments:

Post a Comment